Skip directly to content

Guitarists General Discussion Thread

froman919's picture
on August 27, 2006 - 10:14pm

Hey wuts up, my first topic laugh.gif plese reply

so.....talk about inspiration, i mean come on when i first heard these guys i was blown away by the guitar

also one of their isnpirations, metallica is an inspiration to me

Trivium and Metallica are the two best bands ever!!

Forum category: 
the phenom's picture

TriviumDenmark's picture

First time I knew I would play guitar was the first time I ever saw Metallica: Live sh*t binge & purge, when i saw Hetfield, and Hammett it was looking so easy, but it is hard!
But I still practice all the time, when i got nothing else to do!

Metallica & Trivium!

minister bonesaw's picture

QUOTE(Vicinity @ Nov 21 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]401767[/snapback]

oh and also look up sum youtube vids about sweep picking, muteing, etc...

Dont look up sweep picking straight away at all if your just starting out, thats not gonna do too good straight away. Muting seems to come naturally. I dont see how youtube videos help people at all.

deans_own's picture

might not get a reply - this thread is old...

the phenom's picture

I am so getting this:

+

=

trivium-avhoc30's picture

QUOTE(Sir Daniel)
QUOTE(Spike)

Thats why everyone plays them, they're cheap and easy to get, but remember.

Quality > Quanity

That is such a retarded statement. I didn't buy my Ibanez because it was cheap, I bought it because it has an amazing tone. :roll:

I went into a shop and I played an Ibanez S470DXQM and a Gibson SG, both through the same amp (Roland Cube 60) and the Ibanez absolutely shitted all over the Gibson. Granted this was the only Gibson I have ever played, but I still think they are a crappy overated brand.

So, in my opinion:-

Ibanez >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gibson

Alright, you're an idiot. Some cheap Ibanez/DiMarzio pick ups don't have a better tone than a Gibson SG. Gibson's have pretty awesome pick ups, I'll give them that. So tone wise, Gibson > Cheap Ibanez'.

megadethfan8's picture

QUOTE(Total_Annihilation @ Apr 9 2009, 09:02 PM) [snapback]468021[/snapback]

Cool man, you're pretty good for playing a year and a half. Having been playing for almost 5 years myself, I think you're definitely further than I was at a year and a half. Then again I didn't start practicing daily until 2 years into playing and even since then it's only for like 1-2 hours a day due to a busy schedule, lol

Nice man, did you check out the other song (Andromeda)?

sleeping_awake's picture

what guitar does matt use in the entrance clip?

razorback god's picture

You guys think that on Black Friday there will be mega sales at Sam Ash and places like that so I can get a real good guitar really cheap.

fitcip's picture

QUOTE(Madden @ Mar 31 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]366567[/snapback]

You know who has good tone? Opeth.

Amen. And Chris Broderick's clean tone is amazing. http://youtube.com/watch?v=zl3g8seYy74

Damn.

I'm probably gonna be getting me an ENGL soon, maybe this summer. I gotta really save up. It's between the Powerball and the Savage, depending on how much cash I make.

And my two favorite axes I use are the Jackson RR1 and Ibanez Universe.

trivium3_maximus's picture

Ebay is your bestchance at a cheap anything. Then again, it'll probably be thoroughly messed up.

total_annihilation's picture

I notice lately that when I jam along with stuff and record guitar tracks of my jams, a lot of my palm muted notes are sharper than what I'm playing along with despite being in perfect tune. I'm thinking this might be caused by using GHS Boomers Extra Light 9-42 gauge strings having semi-low tension in standard tuning.

If I were to switch to GHS Boomers Custom Light 9-46, do you guys think I would need to make a truss rod adjustment for that little of a gauge change?

bethheafy's picture

i need help on deciding what wah pedal to get
does anyone have any suggestions?
i was thinking maybe the dunlop dimebag one cos i like to go for a more thrashy metally sound
but i dont have much money atm....well i have no money atm cos i spent it all on Download tickets (fucking awesome though) so itd have to be like a £80-£120 price range

northern_wrath's picture

QUOTE(Spike)
QUOTE(Northern_Wrath)
QUOTE(Spike)
QUOTE(Anton XVII)

Gibson’s? Haha! Poor quality production straight from the warehouse to result in a shabby playing piece of wood that every generic band hails, even though the things are so damn in-versatile for any other genre that Indie or Classic Rock.

You do realize you probably an Ibanez RG or some other immigrated model that was sent into the u.s. factory made with the name ibanez on the head right? Guitars more factory produced than your girlfriend's strap on? Though, I don't think you'll argue quality there, you obviously love it. Inversatile? Your Ibanez is good for one thing: sounding like a dead goat in a muddy pond or sounding like Korn and Slipknot. Unless you're joe satriani or steve vai but I gaurentee you're not either, and plus their guitars are hand made in the U.S. not factory produced korean guitars. And if you're bashing indie and classic rock, Elliot Smith and Jimmy Page have more talent in their left testicle than you'll ever come close to having, and they both play Gibsons, but nice try. One more thing, Gibsons are hand made in the U.S.

Actually, anyone with any sense about them knows that a good Ibanez hails from Japanese factories. Its Japan, Korea, and Singapore (now). It used to be japan and korea, and that was basically your Prestige and Normal additions. Except they werent called prestige back then. now with singapore factories, theyve upped the pric eon the top end, and called them prestige's, the normal are still normal, and they've made an entry class. And ibanez has been in the music business for a long ass time, of course they stated as the hoshinogakki group or something, and Ibanez was just a spanish music factory they bought to fron their products so they would sell in the States when they first started producing guitars. I'm glad you konw your shit though. especailly about hand made in the USA Ibanez guitars.

I took a random guess, because I really don't care where they are hand made, doesn't mean they aren't shit. Ibanez is just a cheap quantity guitar. Thats why everyone plays them, they're cheap and easy to get, but remember.

Quality > Quanity

This last statement proves you don't know what you're talking about.

Proof that having a big mouth, and talking shit, does not make you right. If I want a quality instrument, I sure as HELL won't be buying a "hand built, USA" Gibson. Thats the last place I look. Whoever "hand built" the last 4 or 5 shipments of Gibson LP's to my local music store must have been on crack-cocaine. The frets were completely off, causing buzzing all along the fretboard; the pickups were wired in such a way that either the neck, or brdige pickup didn't work; and the knobs crackled like hell. That sure is quality I want to pay for, especially if its for 2500$. When I'm drunk enough to drop 2500$ on, literally, a piece of shit, I'll go to the titty bar and get drunk and do it, and at least that way I'll have fun.

And just because you have a fancy sticker on your guitar that says "Hand Built In The United States of America!", that doesn't mean it was actually hand built! Guess what!? Mesa Boogie Rectifiers also have "Hand Built in the USA" on them, and guess what else! THEY'RE NOT! They're built out of state, and are assembled en masse in manufacturers plants in state.

Wow, a lesson in economics.

metivium's picture

hahaha, yeh, i imagine i will be to, everytime i get my hands on the schools floyd rose guitars the get punihed with major squeals lol tongue.gif

trivium3_maximus's picture

Haha you're original post said 3 years, yet now it says 5? Pull another 2 out of your ass somehow? laugh.gif

sir daniel's picture

QUOTE(JudasBlitzkrieg)
QUOTE(sleeping_awake)
QUOTE(Futures)

Lol.

Your opinions on ESP Guitars?

awesome guitars

overrated guitars

Ibanez > ESP

+1

northern_wrath's picture

QUOTE(Spike)
QUOTE(Northern_Wrath)
QUOTE(Spike)
QUOTE(Northern_Wrath)
QUOTE(Spike)
QUOTE(Anton XVII)

Gibson’s? Haha! Poor quality production straight from the warehouse to result in a shabby playing piece of wood that every generic band hails, even though the things are so damn in-versatile for any other genre that Indie or Classic Rock.

You do realize you probably an Ibanez RG or some other immigrated model that was sent into the u.s. factory made with the name ibanez on the head right? Guitars more factory produced than your girlfriend's strap on? Though, I don't think you'll argue quality there, you obviously love it. Inversatile? Your Ibanez is good for one thing: sounding like a dead goat in a muddy pond or sounding like Korn and Slipknot. Unless you're joe satriani or steve vai but I gaurentee you're not either, and plus their guitars are hand made in the U.S. not factory produced korean guitars. And if you're bashing indie and classic rock, Elliot Smith and Jimmy Page have more talent in their left testicle than you'll ever come close to having, and they both play Gibsons, but nice try. One more thing, Gibsons are hand made in the U.S.

Actually, anyone with any sense about them knows that a good Ibanez hails from Japanese factories. Its Japan, Korea, and Singapore (now). It used to be japan and korea, and that was basically your Prestige and Normal additions. Except they werent called prestige back then. now with singapore factories, theyve upped the pric eon the top end, and called them prestige's, the normal are still normal, and they've made an entry class. And ibanez has been in the music business for a long ass time, of course they stated as the hoshinogakki group or something, and Ibanez was just a spanish music factory they bought to fron their products so they would sell in the States when they first started producing guitars. I'm glad you konw your shit though. especailly about hand made in the USA Ibanez guitars.

I took a random guess, because I really don't care where they are hand made, doesn't mean they aren't shit. Ibanez is just a cheap quantity guitar. Thats why everyone plays them, they're cheap and easy to get, but remember.

Quality > Quanity

This last statement proves you don't know what you're talking about.

Proof that having a big mouth, and talking shit, does not make you right. If I want a quality instrument, I sure as HELL won't be buying a "hand built, USA" Gibson. Thats the last place I look. Whoever "hand built" the last 4 or 5 shipments of Gibson LP's to my local music store must have been on crack-cocaine. The frets were completely off, causing buzzing all along the fretboard; the pickups were wired in such a way that either the neck, or brdige pickup didn't work; and the knobs crackled like hell. That sure is quality I want to pay for, especially if its for 2500$. When I'm drunk enough to drop 2500$ on, literally, a piece of shit, I'll go to the titty bar and get drunk and do it, and at least that way I'll have fun.

And just because you have a fancy sticker on your guitar that says "Hand Built In The United States of America!", that doesn't mean it was actually hand built! Guess what!? Mesa Boogie Rectifiers also have "Hand Built in the USA" on them, and guess what else! THEY'RE NOT! They're built out of state, and are assembled en masse in manufacturers plants in state.

Wow, a lesson in economics.

nothern_wrath, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You proved my point. Case closed.

the lentzinator's picture

stubborn_blond's picture

I really liked my mates Jackson DKMG, then played my Ibanez.

It seriously shits all over it...

The USA select series though are about the same level, just about £2000 more expensive....

total_annihilation's picture

A question for you guys: What are some exercises you guys use to strengthen your fretting hand/wrist??

camden's picture

QUOTE(sleeping_awake)
QUOTE(Futures)

Lol.
Your opinions on ESP Guitars?

awesome guitars

Neither. It's a specific model and brand that's made it for me:
Peavey V-Type EXPs.

megadethfan8's picture

ok so i have a very important question, im dont use my digitech distortion pedal in band rehersals, because i try to set it up to sound as loud as my amp does without the pedal, meaning that i try to find a level of equal sounding, but i cant, and i put it as loud as i can that it doesnt make a buzzing noise cause im afraid that it might blow up my amp. I have a Randall RX30D amplifier, a BOSS NS-2 (Noise Suppressor), a Digitech Hot Head, and my jackson warrior. any suggestions on how i can get a good, loud sound with that equipment? (no trolling please)

midnight ebony's picture

Do they realy stop producing them when mustain leaves? Is he the owner of the rights ?

megadethfan8's picture

QUOTE(Insanity @ Dec 27 2008, 03:00 PM) [snapback]462101[/snapback]

You're getting yourself worked up over nothing. Playing live is no big deal.
Nothing to be scared of.

I cant say you're right, cause i havnt got the experience, its my first time, so i dont know the first impression im gonna give, and i dont know if im going to shit my pants once im up in stage.

fear_the_mullet's picture

QUOTE(OMeN @ May 10 2007, 10:48 PM) [snapback]376742[/snapback]

My les paul guitar atm sounds like a pos, I have no idea why. I've noticed that the strings are set pretty high so would it have something to do with the height of the bridge? The notes just sound empty and the high strings sound way overly distorted and shit. My $400AU viper sounds better than that $1000 guitar. Any other suggestions?

Go get it set up. String action should be high enough to get alot of tone, but not so high that thepickups can't pickup the note. it also cant be too low that its like playing on sewing string, or something. because then you have no power, and the magnet in the pickups will impede the natural vibration of the strings.

orson scott card's picture

I hate the Les Paul cutaways, there such obrstructions!

stubborn_blond's picture

QUOTE(sleeping_awake)

What are your opinions on the Ibanez S 520EX?

A Gibson's better
J/K

I can't say I've played that particular guitar, but if it's an S series then it's gonna be gawjuss.

triviumrules174's picture

QUOTE(Total_Annihilation @ Mar 11 2009, 11:01 PM) [snapback]466631[/snapback]

I like Corey a lot too but Matt's rhythm and lead style has had more of an influence on me as a player...That and the fact that he wrote and recorded all of the guitar parts for Ember To Inferno at the mere age of 17 while still being in high school kinda seals the deal for me. smile.gif

did he finish high school?

killed by death's picture

Wow, this argument has been going on for 10 days and nearly 3 pages and you still haven't reached a conclusion.

Damn funny though laugh.gif

Pages