Skip directly to content

New Album Review

bigdeech's picture
on September 25, 2006 - 2:22am

http://pitriff.com/modules.php?op=modload&...wcontent&id=674

PITRIFF RATING – 9/10 - Had the band not taken a slight misstep with the emo-lyrics of “This World Can’t Tear Us Apart”, this record would have gotten a perfect score. That’s definitely a minor setback though on an otherwise raging album. Flaunting their old school roots and incorporating some of the better elements of modern metal, Trivium have created the album that I hope becomes the trendsetter for the next five years of metal. THE CRUSADE is an awesome release which should push the band out of the clubs and into the much bigger venues.

Forum category: 
fugue's picture

At first I really didn't like that song as I thought it was an attempt to do another DIYA but now I've listended to it more I don't think that at all and I love it. biggrin.gif

motionless's picture

Meh, ignore the people who don't like This World Can't Tear Us Apart, it kicks ass.

awdboost's picture

He didn't give proper credit on 'Entrance' and 'To The Rats' but not really important. What is important is that he gave this album the credit it deserves. It really is the new benchmark for metal. If this album gets proper promotion there are really no limits for Trivium. A lot of people (including this reviewer and many US fans) didn't give Ascendancy a chance because it was lumped into the metalcore category. But this is not going to happen with Crusade so Trivium have the potential to really explode with this album. I wouldn't be surprised to see many more reviews along these lines when the album gets released. I can't even recall an album as good as this since And Justice For All!

somethingbrutal's picture

i dont think that song is "EMO", i just think its a good emotional song just like DIYA. Also no one should be complaining about Anthem at all, its a really good song. half the people that talk about these songs should be writing music themselves if they dont like it.

party animal's picture

That reviewer has no idea what "Emo is, "Emo" is about seeing the world in a negative way while whining about it & talking about slitting your wrists. There is nothing "emo" or wrong about This World Can't Tear Us Apart.

matt demon's picture

It aint emo at all.

Emo is more about heartbreak.

It's more in the vein of Meatloaf or Bon Jovi lyrics.

A good positive hard rocking love song! 8)

Power ballads FTW!

Nehpets's picture

hehe..i like that review apart from the comment about this world, but eveybody has and is entitled to their own opinion :wink:

trivium-sonic's picture

Trivium have created an album that gives me the best orgasms ever.

shiftyp's picture

QUOTE(The Lentzinator)

Good review, but I'd say that song is fine.  Anthem is the bad one :evil:

Agreed, + some elements imo they could of improved on =].

ndat's picture

ROTFL... If that's the case I can't tell the difference tongue.gif... Oh well, I suck.

elloy's picture

QUOTE(Voice Of Deception)

Meh, ignore the people who don't like This World Can't Tear Us Apart, it kicks ass.

word - fucking love the bridge of this one =)

mrlee's picture

i dis-agree that the lyrics to this world cant tear us apart are emo.

its just a nice song lol...i mean if matt was like "omg xcoorreee slit my wrists you dumped me poor me" maybe id understand lol.

zags2344's picture

well that's weird, because the vocals are much, much better.

Stingray712's picture

Thats a pretty good review although, the bit aout emo lyrics is shite! its an amazing song, if u want emo go listen to hawthorne heights. Also they dont say much about poalo and his amazing bass skills and travis' fucking great drum work.

matt demon's picture

QUOTE(Wozza)

Trivium have created an album that gives me the power to give women the best orgasms ever.

Fixed.

It works on the ladies too you know! :wink:

trivium2_donna's picture

Rolling Stone review:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/...reviews_rssfeed

Nothing mars a good metal record like so-called harsh vocals, which is a nice way of referring to the booming, incoherent growling style so many metal groups who grew up listening to nasty stuff from Florida or Scandinavia use today. Matt Heafy, lead vocalist of the Orlando, Florida, thrash-metal quartet Trivium, fell into that trap on their first two records -- but for their new politically charged album, The Crusade, he's tossed the bark aside in favor of his actual voice. The change makes all the difference, even if he now sounds so much like his hero James Hetfield it's distracting. The rest of Trivium also sound like they've been listening to Cliff Burton-era Metallica on nonstop shuffle, but somehow they never come off as a cheap knockoff. Trivium's songs are mostly taken straight from the headlines -- though their newspaper must be late, because some of the stories are at least five years old. "Entrance of the Conflagration" is about Andrea Yates, who drowned her five children in 2001, and "Contempt Breeds Contamination" is about the 1999 killing of Amadou Diallo by the NYPD. Still, when Heafy and Co. rip into Bush and Co. for their Iraq fuck-up on biting speed-metal tracks like "Ignition" and "Detonation," they seem like one of the few contemporary metal bands that matter.

trivium-sonic's picture

QUOTE(Spheres Of Madness)
QUOTE(Wozza)

Trivium have created an album that gives me the power to give women the best orgasms ever.

Fixed.

It works on the ladies too you know! :wink:

It does it indeed. 8)

metal crusader's picture

QUOTE(BigDeech)

http://pitriff.com/modules.php?op=modload&...tent&id=674

PITRIFF RATING – 9/10 - Had the band not taken a slight misstep with the emo-lyrics of “This World Can’t Tear Us Apart”, this record would have gotten a perfect score. That’s definitely a minor setback though on an otherwise raging album. Flaunting their old school roots and incorporating some of the better elements of modern metal, Trivium have created the album that I hope becomes the trendsetter for the next five years of metal. THE CRUSADE is an awesome release which should push the band out of the clubs and into the much bigger venues.

a fine example of people not knowing the meaning of "emo" but overall, great review. 8)

shovelnose's picture

This World is an ok song, in my opinion. By far the worst song on the CD. I think Matt called it the DIYA of The Crusade, but in my opinion, DIYA is better.

trivium-aldetrivium's picture

QUOTE(Asphyxiated.)

No, bubblegum pop rock = bubblegum pop rock..  

I think people don't know what they're hating when they hate emo..
Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, HIM,  Simple Plan, Thursday, The Mars Volta, Senses Fail, Silverstein, New Found Glory, Thursday, Early November, Panic! at the disco, etc.  Is emo. (in my opinion)  
Emo's main ingrediants are noise and over pronounciated, whiney vocals.

The Mars Volta dosen't really belong with any those bands though and are definitely far too progressive, old school and psychedelic to be an emo band. Mark Hunter from Chimara considered them to be the closest thing to Led Zeppelin we have these days.

Cedric Bixler-Zavala and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez older band At The Drive though is one the major influences for a lot of the post-hardcore emo bands.

---

and isn't the main ingredient in emo "Emotional lyrics"

the lentzinator's picture

Good review, but I'd say that song is fine. Anthem is the bad one :evil:

matt demon's picture

Word Paolo.

One of the best reviews so far! 8)

ndat's picture

This reviewer is kind of strange, I read through some of his other reviews and he seems to be analyzing the bands chance of success based on past works and then the current ablum. He seems to be pretty good at it but he falls short in actually telling you anything about the music LOL.

He also compared Lamb of God - Sacrament to Pantera and Strapping young lad? WTF? The album is almost a direct copy of The Gathering by Testament with a little Pantera thrown in, so I dunno if I trust his music knowledge.

He doesn't seem to know a whole lot about Trivium as a band either and didn't really notice the cool drums or kick ass bass and bass solos. He must have been too busy rocking out or just doesn't like doing his research.

Also if he doesn't like EMO why did he review and give Evanescence an 8/10 lol?

Whatever it's a good review, I'm just being hyper-critical tongue.gif.

trivium-wickerman's picture

I feel you have a misconception of what emo is ndat. Evenesance is radio rock if anything. Emo = underoath, my chemical romance, etc.

lkavadas's picture

Pretty good review as far as Rolling Stone is concerned, though I could care less what the rag prints to be honest.

Anyways, I'd this album is my favorite of the year; and probably my favorite since I picked up Anthrax's "We've Come For You All," so this is like my favorite album in the past three years or something like that.

Ah, but then there is Maiden's new one. Hmmmm. Close, but I'll give Triv's latest the nod.

trivium-aldetrivium's picture

Review from one of the bigger music sites on the net www.allmusic.com

**** out of *****

In listening to Trivium's The Crusade for the first time, it's remarkable that this is the same band that recorded Ember to Inferno a scant three years ago. While last year's Ascendancy hinted at what was to come, it still doesn't prepare the listener properly. The former thrash metal band from Ember to Inferno disappeared, was covered over by this insanely talented quintet whose members could be 20-years-olds. They play an aggressive form of syncopated, intense progressive metal. With vocalist/guitarist Matt Heafy and drummer Travis Smith are guitarist Corey Beaulieu and bassist Paolo Gregoletto, who should be ready for the world stage at this point, and clue in those who think is speed metal is some passé form of rock music. Check the twin guitars in "Detonation" as Trivium weave dynamic, melodic passages around a crunching riff. Or the vocal chorus that opens "Entrance of the Conflagration," before it erupts into kick drum-driven mayhem without ever delving into cliché. Sure, early Metallica were an influence on Trivium (the Metallica who released Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, not the current incarnation who left those guys in the dust to become a respectable rock band). This is not to say that thrash doesn't have its place in the mix — check "To the Rats." Never has a drummer sounded so crisp and so completely in control of the beat than Smith does here. The quick yet devastatingly tasty guitar riffs that Heafy and Beaulieu concoct are creative, knotty and canny. Other notable cuts on this fine outing are "Becoming the Dragon," "The Rising," and the eight-plus-minute title cut that closes the set.Let's face it, though it's made and listened to primarily by the young, as a genre, metal has grown up and become far more sophisticated than it's given credit for. If anything, it's the only place in rock & roll music where innovation and creativity are flourishing because other than electricity and volume, there are no rules; the musicianship is top-notch, the writing gets better all the time, and production techniques are not the focus, music is. Trivium's The Crusade is a perfect example of what's possible. Along with other American bands like Mastodon and Slayer — and an entire slew of groups from their home state of Florida — are redefining the genre.

Hopefully I can find and buy the album today. 8)

trivium2_donna's picture

Good times

trivium-wickerman's picture

No, bubblegum pop rock = bubblegum pop rock..

I think people don't know what they're hating when they hate emo..
Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, HIM, Simple Plan, Thursday, The Mars Volta, Senses Fail, Silverstein, New Found Glory, Thursday, Early November, Panic! at the disco, etc. Is emo. (in my opinion)
Emo's main ingrediants are noise and over pronounciated, whiney vocals.

bubblegum pop rock is shit like Nickleback, linkin park, etc.

ANYWAY, back to pitriff's review. "Trivium have created that album that I hope becomes the trendsetter for the next five years of metal." Hell make that 20!

darkestal's picture

From what i heard off the new album doesn't sound that great, i'm not dissing the album or nothing, i'm still going to pick it up and still expecting it to be a kick ass album, but when i first heard Ascendancy i was blown away, i just don't like the vocal style that Matt is going for now, i do like the guitar work, that hasn't changed, still fucking sweet but yea i can't say anything until i pick up this album

fiona's picture

Emo = Bubblegum Pop Rock

=]

Pages